Principal Consultant Climate Strategy Australia
South Pole is the leading provider of sustainability solutions across the globe. We see Australia on the knife-edge of a huge sustainable transition in complete contrast to federal policy. South Pole has operated in Australia for 5 years and since our inception we have created a youthful, energetic and passionate crew of climate leaders that have had great success in landing new mandates across many industries.
We are very excited to announce that we are looking for an inspiring and passionate Principal Consultant to unleash the full power of our existing Australian team and continue to build on our market successes for the years ahead.
As part of the Climate Strategy team within the Consultancy & Services Unit, you will focus on the delivery of high quality consultancy advice on climate change mitigation solutions to the corporate sector. As a Principal Consultant, you will also lead the development of proposals and participate in business development activities and new service creation. You will take responsibility for the quality and the commercial viability of the engagements and helps South Pole to become a leading provider of sustainability solutions.
You'll be able to shape and guide our Australian consultancy team and coordinate with your colleagues across the globe to drive business success, market transformation and inspire a generation of climate leaders.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Lead the planning, management and execution of consulting mandates with necessary know-how and skill set to ensure the most efficient and highest quality implementation
- As a senior expert, provide supervision, guidance and technical leadership in international consulting mandates
- Develop new consulting business opportunities in the Australian corporate sector and closely collaborate with the Key Account Management Team
- Contribute to the development of thought leadership, services and marketing materials with Australian market focus to further develop our corporate offerings
- Interact with and build relationships with clients and contribute to the successful winning and delivery of corporate consulting mandates
- Lead and directly manage small consultant teams
- Participate in business strategy and leadership relevant internal discussions to well position our corporate consulting activities within South Pole's overall business and offering
- Topics of consulting mandates may include: Corporate climate and sustainability strategies, GHG accounting and disclosure, climate change mitigation, Science Based Targets (SBTs), risk assessment and TCFD, materiality assessment, energy efficiency, Life Cycle thinking
- A university degree, ideally in Environmental Sciences or Engineering, Business Management, Economics or other sustainability or business-related disciplines
- At least 10-15 years of relevant work experience in the corporate sector at least partly in corporate consulting
- Sound understanding of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies
- Business development and commercial skills to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Leadership and strategic management experience
- Specific consultancy experience in:
- consultancy for corporate clients, particularly in topics related to sustainability, such as advisory and strategy development, risk and opportunities assessment, carbon management and disclosure, energy efficiency / renewable energy strategy, plastics etc
- driving change within corporates and through the value chain
- communication to senior decision makers (such as C-Suite) and across a range of stakeholders
- Experienced project manager in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies/international context
- Practical experience in other sustainability and CSR topics is desirable
- Proven knowledge and network in the relevant fields and region
- Excellent oral and written skills in English