Improving household health conditions, reducing emissions and supporting sustainable development
Across the world, inhaling smoke from open fire cooking kills 4 million people world-wide, that’s more than HIV/AIDS, TB and Malaria combined. Rural communities in Malawi and Zambia are no different: many cook on open-fires inside their homes, which lack sufficient ventilation, so the toxic fumes released, including carbon monoxide, are inhaled. These fumes are the number one cause of respiratory diseases among women and children. As traditional open fire stoves are hard to light, they are often left smoldering and smoky between meals wasting energy and polluting.