Programme of Activities (PoA) - Water
Objective: Having first hand experience as the largest private Programme of Activities (PoA) developer worldwide, South Pole offers the knowledge and assistance of its PoA experts and local project managers to assure the success of your PoA or your CDM Project Activity (CPA).
South Pole fully owns and manages a number of PoAs, providing project owners across the globe the opportunity to include their activities as CPAs into such programs and to market their emission reductions in a reliable and cost-efficient manner. Following services are provided to project owners:
- Checking the eligibility of the project to join one of our PoAs
- Assessing the potential of your emission reduction project and estimating the revenue you can expect to generate
- Providing access to Carbon Finance using our extensive network of partners
- Guiding your emission reduction project through all the steps that are required to generate carbon credits.
- Allowing the unique access to all major carbon markets (including the EU ETS post 2012) and facilitating the sale of emission reductions.
In addition to South Pole's own PoA pipeline, we also offer the entire spectrum of services needed for PoA implementation to interested parties, including but not limited to:
- Capacity building
- Market analysis and case studies
- PoA documentation and registration services
- CME establishment and management services
- Carbon finance solutions customized for PoAs
In depth -
South Pole's International Water Purification Program
- The use of Household Water Treatment and Safe Storage (HWTS) significantly reduces diarrheal diseases and contributes to better public health and decreased child mortality
- All HWTS technologies (except boiling) reduce carbon dioxide emissions and contribute to the global efforts to mitigate climate change
- The emission reductions will be certified and made available as carbon credits. The revenues will be used to provide the poorest of the poor with access to safe water
- Projects can be included in 15 host countries (Uganda, Ethiopia, Gambia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, South Africa, Egypt, El Salvador, Mexico, Nicaragua, Chile, Iran, Vietnam and Cambodia). Additional countries can be added to the Program at any time.
- The program significantly reduces project inclusion costs. We offer professional support for efficient and inexpensive access to the carbon market.
- The program is registered as a CDM (Clean Development Mechanism) PoA and will get soon a Gold Standard up-grade. This allows sales of credits on the voluntary and the compliance market – offering more flexibility and higher revenue than a solely CDM or Gold Standard project.
We registered this first truly international Program (Program of Activities / PoA) in January 2013 under the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change). We are committed to provide water purification projects to help drastically improve the lives of some of the most vulnerable people.
- Access to safe drinking water at the point of consumption
- Reduction of diarrheal diseases
- Decrease of child mortality and improvement of public health
- Reduction of carbon dioxide emissions
- Contribution to climate change mitigation
- Reduced hardship for vulnerable populations