Advising governments on effective policies, public finance, and carbon markets
South Pole advises the public sector on policies, financial instruments and carbon markets that catalyse action for climate change mitigation and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
We offer advice to governments and International Finance Institutions (IFIs) on the design, implementation and evaluation of:
- Public policies, strategies and measures with tangible development and/or climate change mitigation impacts
- Innovative public finance instruments that mobilise private capital for climate action and sustainability
- Carbon markets, including existing and upcoming international, national and sub-national markets driven by the Paris climate agreement and national/sub-national legislation
Through our work, we ensure that public sector clients working with us will be able to
- Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of policies, financial instruments, and carbon markets to achieve climate and development goals
- Stay up to date on recent developments regarding international policies, public and private finance sources and instruments, and carbon markets
- Mobilise private capital to decrease the financial burden for the public sector and taxpayers in tackling climate change and other sustainability challenges
- Access tailor-made solutions in core sectors such as energy, land-use, industry, waste transport, buildings and finance
- Harness our local know-how through our local presence across the globe
Climate policy and strategy: We develop strategies, policies, instruments and programmes to enable climate action and low carbon investments. This includes the development of Green Growth Plans, Low Emission Development Strategies (LEDS), Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) under the Paris Agreement, Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) and domestic carbon pricing mechanisms, such as offset schemes, baseline-and-credit approaches, or emission trading schemes (ETS). Our decentralised organisational structure has allowed us to develop a deep understanding of diverse geographical and sectoral circumstances – all of our solutions are carefully tailored to the local context.
Sustainable land-use policies and finance: We enable public entities to design and implement effective land-use policies and monitor the impact of these measures and investments on the ground. Our forest and land use policy experts provide advice to governments, International Finance Institutions (IFIs) and cities related to Blue Carbon, Payment for Environmental Services (PES), agents and drivers of deforestation and forest degradation, Monitoring Reporting and Verification (MRV) for land use, and other financing tools used to mobilise public and private investment to achieve sustainable development goals in the land-use sector.
Public-Private Financing Solutions: We develop and implement innovative financing solutions for development banks and governments, to unlock critical private capital for climate and sustainability action, and advise the private sector on how to access public finance for climate action. Under the Swiss Technology Fund, we conduct due diligence assessment underlying the issuance of loan guarantees to small and medium enterprises. We have conducted feasibility studies for new instrument to de-risk investments in energy efficiency and renewable energy in South East Asia and an assessment of early stage clean technology finance.
Climate Finance for Cities: As a municipal decision-maker, you can ask us for the most innovative tools to assess low-carbon city projects, and turn to us to access and structure financing to implement them. We offer innovative solutions like Green Bonds for Cities and a new framework for sustainable urban development, and support Indian cities in accessing finance for their low-carbon and climate-resilient projects. Our expertise is further complemented by our work as founding partner of the Low Carbon City Lab, and our partnerships with Climate Bonds Initiative, and ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability, among others.
Carbon pricing: During the past decade, we have successfully assisted governments with the origination, development and transaction of carbon credits. We have also worked extensively on the implementation of low carbon strategies, programmes and projects through the use of market-based mechanisms. This know-how extends to the successful design and implementation of monitoring, reporting and verification systems and frameworks, and capacity building in the area of carbon pricing. We are, for example, supporting the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in the low-carbon transition of the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean (SEMED) region through the launch of a series of market-based programmes to reduce carbon emissions.