We have not achieved this alone. In addition to our own projects, South Pole has supported thousands of partners to identify, implement and monitor projects that deliver impact with integrity.
We work with a wide range of project owners and partners including investors, land owners, technology providers, utilities, corporates, NGOs, non-profits, and community organisations with projects across forestry, agriculture and other land use (AFOLU), energy efficiency, transport, waste management, water, climate-smart buildings and renewable energy.
These partnerships have unlocked over US$15 billion for clean energy investments in emerging markets alone.
How we support our clients and partners
We support clients across all project types to generate the value they need to make a difference on climate mitigation as well as sustainable development by:
- First and foremost, our global team. A pool of 300+ technical, environmental, social, commercial, communication, finance and legal experts. The processes within the unit are designed (and constantly improved) to smoothly and transparently identify, develop, quantify, verify/issue, market and deliver varieties of environmental products
- Identifying projects, assessing feasibility and conducting due diligence. We can conduct a whole range of assessments, including carbon credit eligibility, baseline studies, climate risk assessments, Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing (GIS & RS) analyses. They adhere to the monitoring, registration and verification provisions and processes of a range of different international, national and regional schemes.
- Project development. We provide support on designing an optimum structure for projects both financially, implementational wise, and on the operational, monitoring and maintenance side. We draw on over 10 years of extensive experience developing Gold Standard and VERRA projects.
- Project operation, monitoring and maintenance. We provide support on designing new GHG accounting methodologies, on the ground co-implementation, drafting Project Design Documents (PDD), baseline determination and analyses, developing measuring, reporting and verification (MRV) plans, validation/registration and verification/issuance processes and support with the third party auditing in all aspects. We can also advise on selecting the best Validation and Verification Body and achieving additional certifications and can continue to support through implementation and up to and beyond successful issuance of carbon credits.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant standards. Compliance and voluntary carbon project standards vary across countries, regions and markets. Our global presence and local expertise means we advise on your project's eligibility for different sources of carbon finance and ensure it meets the required standards. Read more.
- QA/QC and risk assessment. We use our in-house advanced project management system with a sophisticated multi-layer quality check for deliverables. Our risk assessment and management (RAM) tool is performed frequently on new and ongoing operational projects make sure we safeguard ourselves and partners on financial, legal, reputational and socio-ecological aspects. All our projects go through independent third party auditing as well as an extra check by the standard bodies and issuing entities. We design constant monitoring and evaluation (M&E) procedures on the ground to make sure the project is operating optimally as designed/planned in a financially and environmentally sustainable manner long term.
- Marketing projects. Our established sales networks ensure your carbon credits generate the value and the revenue you need to take climate action.
"Carbon Green Africa has been working with South Pole since 2011 when the Kariba REDD+ project was first validated. South Pole's knowledge, experience, understanding and services they have provided us is second to none and together with a friendly and energetic team makes them true leaders putting them at the forefront of carbon project development. Thank you South Pole and the whole team we have worked with."
Carbon Green Africa, Zimbabwe
"We have been working with South Pole to generate carbon credits since 2019. South Pole's experienced team advised and guided us successfully and professionally for this project. Ventus S.A. is proud to be able to help preserve our planet and the environment."
Edmundo Del Carmen, Ventus S.A.
A selection of our project development partners
Meet our experts
Bamshad Houshyani, Director Project Development
Since starting his career in the sustainability sector almost 20 years ago, Bamshad has been leading research, project development and project management services and processes for different types of environmental applications and sustainable technologies. Since 2006, Bamshad has focused his efforts on developing and promoting climate mitigation solutions globally, with clear positive climate and socio-ecological impacts; allowing public-private institutions, businesses and communities to play a key role in the global battle against climate change. As an engineer and a social entrepreneur, he strives to design sustainable systems that demonstrate - to businesses and societies - the clear benefits of living a sustainable lifestyle, to transition the existing economic system to a fair and sustainable one, for all.
He has been affiliated, as a methodology panel member for the UNFCCC Executive Board; technical member of the Initiative for Climate Action Transparency (ICAT) by VCS (aka Verra), WRI and UNEP DTU; the California GHG Program Registry - Climate Action Reserve (CAR); the UNFCCC Roster of Experts; and the Gold Standard Roster of Experts.
Christian Dannecker, Director Global Sourcing
As Director of global sourcing for South Pole, Christian has built up extensive experience working with business, communities and civil society organizations in the area of carbon credits and carbon markets, climate finance, REDD+ and development of forest carbon, conservation, agriculture and energy sector projects.
Christian's special area of interest has been REDD+ projects across Latin America and Africa. Globally Christian has worked across Africa; Asia; and Australia, where he was driving the development of more than 100 conservation, low-carbon agriculture forest restoration and biodiversity conservation projects, commercial reforestation projects and community projects involving efficient stoves and energy efficiency in homes.
He has been affiliated as a Jurisdictional REDD+ expert with Verra, CODE REDD members committee, Colombia's ASOCARBONO working group and also works as a Director in the Conservation NGO Fundación Magnolios.