We also support airlines to implement projects and campaigns that enable their increasingly environmentally conscious customers to fly more responsibly through our award-winning carbon project development and market-leading portfolio of international carbon offsets.
Our services for the aviation sector
Build an offset procurement strategy for CORSIA
We support you to understand:
- Eligibility of carbon offsets for achieving compliance as per latest ICAO Council rules
- Modelling your airline's offset demand in several supply-demand scenarios
- Best sourcing pathways: via tenders, brokers, spot markets, or direct from developers
- Current financial exposure and measures to minimise costs
- Assistance on offset tendering and requests for proposals
Buy carbon offsets for CORSIA compliance
We offer you:
- Access to our portfolio of carbon projects, the world's largest
- Development of exclusive tailor-made emission reduction projects under CORSIA eligible standards
- Personalised pricing and contract structures, including volume guarantees and call options.
Engage environmentally conscious customers
We help you develop:
- Carbon offsetting with voluntary opt-in or opt-out options built into your checkout process
- Engagement campaigns to ensure your climate action differentiates your products and organisation for consumers and other stakeholders
- Carbon calculators and other materials to improve consumer understanding of their journeys' carbon footprint
Leaders in aviation and logistics choose South Pole as their offsetting partner
We have over 10 years' experience supplying carbon offsets to leading airlines for voluntary offsetting and compliance with carbon fuel tax schemes. We have also worked with other organisations in the aviation and logistics industries and are experienced in providing carbon footprinting for flights from a wide range of corporates and other organisations.
Here are a selection of our clients below.
Why work with South Pole?
Active in voluntary and compliance carbon markets since 2006
- We are an award-winning carbon project developer. We have developed over 700 projects, including renewables, forestry, agriculture, and community-based projects.
- Carbon is our core business. We fully understand all aspects of the voluntary and compliance carbon markets.
- Our clients have access to the largest and most diverse project portfolio in the market. They can select from a range of project types in particular locations, delivering specific impacts, mapped against the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Since we develop these projects directly, we can offer high-quality offsets, at competitive rates with no middle man involved.
Track record structuring long-term offset procurement programmes for clients
- Experience structuring large, long-term offset programmes and contracts to meet clients' voluntary and compliance offset needs. This includes clients as diverse as Signify, SwissRe, McKinsey & Company, World Bank Pilot Auction Facility and Australian Government Emissions Reduction Fund.
We understand the regulatory context
South Pole is involved in consulting mandates and in developing projects requiring deep understanding of international, regional, national, ad subnational policy contexts, including:
- Developing projects for Internationally Transferred Mitigation Outcomes (ITMOs) under the Paris Agreement
- Development and implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) at country level
- Public sector mandates on transport (World Bank, GIZ, UNDP etc)
- Emerging CORSIA regulations thanks to mandates and workshops with IATA and IETA.
What is CORSIA?
The Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) is a global scheme adopted by ICAO in 2016 to address emissions from international air travel. It obliges almost all aircraft operators to monitor and report their emissions from 2019 and those voluntarily participating in its early stages to purchase carbon credits to cover any growth in CO2 emissions above 2020 levels from 2021. As of July 2019, 81 states representing over 76% of international aviation activity, had committed to participate in CORSIA from its outset. From 2027 onwards, participation will be mandatory for most countries. Find out more about CORSIA and how it affects your airline.